Thursday, December 5, 2013

Week 11: Cyberpunk

I read Bruce Sterling’s Cyberpunk in the Nineties articles which is strange to read a twenty year old article now. Sterling goes on to describe, the history of cyberpunk, which seems to be a punk rock version of sci-fi. “Cyberpunk is doing what we do to rats, and doing it to humans”. Very in your face an unapologetic about what it’s doing. I guess that’s punk in general. 
Though I love the idea of punk and cyberpunk, I don’t know how much power or shock it has left to offer in today’s age. Sure I don’t think it’ll die but unless something huge comes out of cyberpunk it’ll go the way of most punk sub genres and be underground. It’s 2013 now, I think most people have fun some excuse me “fuck up shit” if you over the age of 15 and on the Internet. I don’t think many people live with the idea anymore the world is a great place, it’s actually pretty much horrible. Maybe all these years in art school have turned me into a bit of douche now that reading that over, about how awful I think the world is, but my life is great and so are a ton of other people’s. I assume this is the target market for cyberpunk. I mean the fact we have the time and the chance to read cyber punk isn’t very cyberpunk is it?
            I feel the same way about horror and other genres that turn over the underbelly of the world to the dark side. It’s hard to shock people now a days. I mean it seemed like almost monthly we were having school shoots and awful godless things are happening, and that’s just in America.
            I may have gone a bit off topic here. To but it simply I don’t know what is going to happen to cyberpunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment