Thursday, December 5, 2013

Week 14: Science Fiction Parody and Satire

             Satire is always an interesting look to look. Sci-fi has a genre is always taking it’s guesses at the future, and this is a always a great place to get a few laughs. Idiocracy is a great example of this, using the promise of the future to deliver a message on consumer culture is a very clever and funny satire of the future.
            When I think of this genre I mainly think of movies, more then books. I much like how Star Wars is often the first move people think of when they think Sci-Fi, Spaceballs is my go to sci-fi satire film. If nothing else Spaceballs manages to take a stab at some of the Star Wars and sci-fis more ridiculous parts. Some of my favorite jokes include combing the desert and the numerous mentions of “Spaceball’s the ____”.
            I don’t have much to say on this subject, its not something up for a lot of critical thought, it’s all for fun a lot the time.
 I wanted to write a quick post reflecting on the class some more. For the most part I really enjoyed it. I wish we had spent a few more weeks on honor and fantasy, I felt like we only had about two weeks of fantasy to go through. This is of course all just my personal tastes. I thought we could have had a “Swords and Sorcery” and a “Kaiju” week for sci-fi and fantasy respectively. I don’t know how much literature is about Kaiju but I’m sure there are a few books about them. Anyway, I loved the class shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment