Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Week 8: Mythic Fiction and Contemporary Urban Fantasy


American Gods was a really interesting read for me I always love this kinda of stuff. Modernizing something old like gods and bringing them to America is cool idea, then adding our own “American Gods” and how we as a new culture must too worship gods. I’m sure this is all some big metaphor, but I don’t really want to get too much into it.
            This was one of my favorites of the course, I found every little thing about it be interesting. Slowly feeding you bits of information as you join Shadow along for the stories length. You learn as he does what is happening and the chaos that slowly goes on over the course of the book. I also enjoyed the back and fourth the sub characters like the succubus women sucking men she sleeps with into her, the other one of these that stood out was the African gods section. It’s nice too because there is some religious lore in there too much makes it nice for people also interesting in learning mythologies of ancient cultures.
            I’ve never read another Neil Gaiman work, but I am interested in reading more. I’ve only ever heard outstanding things about Sandman. That would seems like the next logical place to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment